7.16.2008

Lunchtime Confessions

I was in a bad mood at lunch today so I decided to take a walk and try to clear my head. As both of my readers know I work in Downtown San Diego. So I went for a walk on a beautiful day. I did clear my head of some things and filled it with others...

As I walked up 7th towards the book store I passed a couple talking. I overheard the man say he didn't have money to buy an all day bus pass to be going all over San Diego today. He asked his companion if she had any money. Her response was "I told you I have $5..." My problems became less weighty...

As I continued my walk on market then up on 6th I ended up behind a group of girls walking along. I didn't put much effort into looking away as the skirt of the one on the left would blow up in the wind... What problem was I thinking about again?

I shopped a bit in the book store. I noticed a lady with a stroller apparently filled with all her worldly possessions. She was thumbing through a picture book. I asked to use their restroom. You need a token and dude gave me one. As I was coming out a guy came running at me. I figured quickly to gain access to the head without a token. I didn't put any effort into holding the door for him. He made it.

I headed south on 6th again then over on Market to 7th and headed for Subway. Along the way was a girl sitting in the middle of the sidewalk reading the classifieds. She didn't appear homeless and I don't know what she was looking for. It struck me though that I wish I could be more helpful to folks. The man and woman I'd passed earlier only seemed to need bus fare. This girl I'm going to guess was looking for an apartment or a job. Not sure what help could be provided, but still, I hope she does not need to spend a night on the street tonight.

I see things like this most days I go walking around and it makes me wish I could do more, something... Then the cynic in me might say "you can't change the world..." and liberal in me would even agree. It would just be nice to change someone's day...

No comments: